Saturday, October 19, 2013

Movie Review: Carrie

*Warning- if you haven't seen the original, there are some mild spoiler alerts!*

Hi all!

My friends dragged me out to the movies to see the new film "Carrie" last night, and let's just say, I'm a little freaked out to be even in my own room alone...okay, maybe it's not that bad, but I'm definitely still mentally disturbed....actually, that's a good way to explain this movie, mentally disturbing.


There's an earlier, original version of this movie, which my friends had seen and that's why they wanted to see this movie in particular, despite the fact that I was spewing threats at them at a mile a minute if they made me see a scary movie....which they kind of did. 

It stars the always beautiful Julianne Moore as a hyper-religious, self-blaming mother of the character Carrie, who is played by the up-and-coming Chloe Grace Moretz. I have been seeing this girl EVERYWHERE lately, from Kickass 2 commercials to the walls at Aeropostale. Since she's a newer and younger actor, I wasn't expecting much from her performance, but for such a challenging, multi-faceted, and effed-up role as this was, she really blew me away. She goes from a huddled over, self-conscious girl to the chick that blows up the entire town (I don't feel bad for giving mild spoiler alerts because I feel like a lot of people have already seen the original).

This movie is about a girl who gets teased miserably in school, and has special "powers" that have been passed down from her grandmother. She learns that her powers are telekinetic, and reads up about it so she can learn to control and use them to protect her from her abusive mother and her tormentors at school. It's the ultimate revenge story, and the ending is really....satisfying. If you're the kind of person that really likes a good ending and can't stand crappy ones, then this would be a movie for you.

The movie isn't gory for the first 2/3 of it, but after the pig is brutally murdered (one of my least favorite parts in the movie!) it just gets more and more gory from there. For someone who really really hates horror movies such as myself, it really wasn't TOO bad. There were just a few scenes that I thought were a little more graphic and violent than they needed to be, and those ones are the images that are still stuck in my mind and haunting me a little bit. If you like scary movies and don't mind blood and a teeny bit of gore, then you would have absolutely no problem with this movie- none of my friends did...awk.


Overall, I would give this movie an 8/10. It had a great plot, the performances were great from all of the lead actresses- including Gabriella Wilde (Sue- my personal favorite character), and the always super bitchy to the point where I wanted to punch her a lot during this movie, Portia Doubleday (who plays Chris, and is blonde in her imdb pictures?! WTF? Much better, since the contrast of her bright eyes and pale lips against her practically black hair in the movie bothered me every time she was on screen. ) 

The story really kept me on edge and had a million plot turns in my opinion- wasn't too predictable, and the way the ending went down was very violently creative. If you like scary movies, I'd say go for it! It's creepy but has character and a soul and a story, versus the usual straight-up blood and gore. You really get attached to the characters, even the ones you don't like. If you're like me and can do mildly scary but not so much the blood, I'd say give it a try because it's really thought-provoking and will stay in your head in both good and bad ways, but definitely bring someone with you whose hand you can squeeze, whose shoulder you can hide behind and cry on afterwards, and whose lap you can jump into at times.

On a side note, since the inner beauty guru in me wants to point it out, Chloe looked absolutely GORGEOUS with her strawberry blonde wavy hair in this movie, especially when it was curled, paired with light makeup, and a blush pink colored prom dress in the scene where she gets all dolled up. I've been obsessing over that look ever since!

Hope this helped you guys- will you be seeing this movie or if you've seen it already, how'd you like it? Would you agree with my rating?

Thanks for reading,
xox Elle
https://twitter.com/photoholicgurli
MissGlamBam.com

No comments:

Post a Comment